51-16522 • N1402Z • N5156G
• 51-16522 USAF #1119. L-20A No: 120. Command AF-1. Delivered 02-Jul-1952. Built as L-20A and re--designated U-6A in 1962.
• 51-16522 Stored at MASDC., Davis Monthan AFB., AZ. Arrival date unknown but departed 20-Apr-1966.
• 51-16522 Passed to the Fairchild Aircraft and Engine facility at St. Augustine, FL. Apr-1966.
• 51-16522 Served with the USAF 606th Air Commando Squadron, Nakhan Phanom, Royal Thai AFB Thailand. Circa. 1967.
• N1402Z Details Unknown.
• N5156G Richard Folsom, dba Folsom’s Air Service, Greenville, ME. Regd 1971. Canx 26-Apr-1976.
• C-GUML Ecole Air, Mont Laurier, QC. Regd Jul-1976.
• C-GUML Air Mont Laurier (1985) Inc., Rivière Rouge, QC. On CCAR at May-1981. Regd 24-Apr-1986 & 04-Apr-2007.
51-16522 was made available on 20-Jun-1972, accepted on 26-Jun-1952 and delivered Pope AFB, North Carolina on 02-Jul-1972 where it was assigned to the Tactical Air Command and initially attached to the 4th Liaison Squadron and moved to 2nd Liaison Squadron at Shaw AFB, South Carolina on 22-Jul remaining until 13-Feb-1953. It then transferred to the 388th Fighter Bomber Wing at Clovis AFB, NM until 02-Jul-1953 then returning to the 4th Liaison Squadron. It returned to Shaw AFB on 26-Jun-1954 joining the 363rd Reconnaissance Crew Training Wing before returning to Clovis and the 388th FB Wing on 30-Jul-1954.
Emblem of 388th FB Wing
It moved to the 3595th Combat Crew Training Wing on 17-Oct-1954 but only remained for 12 days returning to the 388th at Clovis on 29-Oct-1954. The aircraft was the sole L-20A attached to the unit and when the 388th moved to France as part of the NATO force the aircraft was re-assigned to the newly activated 312nd Fighter Bomber Wing on 01-Oct-1954. It suffered an accident at McCarran Airport, Las Vegas, NV on 15-Oct-1954 with a taxiing accident that involved a ground loop. The pilot was Carmen A. Marguglio.
Over the next two and a half years whilst still attached to the 312nd it was also deployed to Bryan AFB., Texas and Bergstrom AFB., Texas. During this time it also returned to DHC at Downsview for maintenance between 03-Nov-1956 and 09-Jan-1957.
Emblem of the 312nd FB Wing
Clovis was renamed Cannon AFB., during Jun-1957. In Oct-1957 and with the 832nd FB Wing being created there our aircraft was duly assigned to it remaining until it moved to the 831st Air Base Wing at George AFB., Victorville, CA. Its stay here lasted almost two years until it was re assigned to the Alaska Air Command joining the 5040th Consolidated Aircraft Maintenance Group at Elmendorf AFB., on 20-Apr-1960.
After the Alaskan adventure the aircraft is recorded as having visited Fairchild’s repair facility at St Augustine airfield in Florida from 23-Nov 1962 until 15-Feb-1963. It then returned to active duty, this time with the Strategic Air Command at Lincoln AFB joining the 307th Bombardment wing. It returned to storage at MASDC., Davis Monthan AFB., Arizona. Its arrival date is unknown but departed 20-Apl-1966 when it was passed to the Fairchild Aircraft and Engine facility at St. Augustine, FL. It then returned to active service with the USAF 606th Air Commando Squadron, Nakhan Phanom, Royal Thai AFB., Thailand. Circa 1967.
It returned to the USA to the 56th Air Communications Wing at Sewart AFB., TN, before being sold onto the commercial market.