57-2573 • N3226F • N700RM
• 57-2573 US Army # 1804. L-20 No. 805. Command A-13. Delivered 13-Jun-1958. Built as L-20A and re-designated U-6A in 1962.
• 57-2573 Stored at MASDC., Davis Monthan AFB., AZ. 23-Oct-1975 to 05-May-1976. PCN (Product Control Number) UD078.
• N3226F Walla Walla College, College Place, WA. Regd May-1976.
• N3226F William E. Sims, Nondalton, AK. On USCAR at 02-Mar-1990.
• N700RM William E. Sims, t/a Newhalen Lodge Inc., Nondalton, AK. Regd 27-Jan-1987, May-1991 and 02-Feb-1994.
• N700NL Newhalen Lodge Inc., Nondalton, AK. May-1991 and 02-Feb-1994. Owner noted as Fred E Sims dba Newhalen Lodge Inc at Sep-1996.
Airworthiness date: 17-Jan-1996. Category – Normal.
Accident: Iliamna, AK. 19-Sep-1998. On September 19, 1998, about 07:30 AK daylight time, the aircraft sustained substantial damage during an attempted takeoff from Lake Iliamna, AK, about 20 miles southwest of Iliamna, AK. The solo commercial pilot was not injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the local, 14 CFR Part 91 fishing lodge business flight. The flight was returning to Nondalton, AK, where it had departed about 07:00. During a telephone interview with an NTSB investigator on September 19, the pilot reported he was beginning a takeoff run to the east, when the right wing lifted and the airplane rolled slowly to the left and nosed over. The pilot said he estimated the winds at the time of the accident to be from the east at 30 to 40 knots. He also noted there were no pre-accident mechanical problems with the airplane. During the telephone conversation with the NTSB investigator, the pilot indicated there was damage to the left aileron. The aileron was subsequently replaced. In his written report to the NTSB, the pilot wrote that as he advanced power for takeoff, an "unknown" gust of wind lifted the right wing and rolled the airplane over to the left. His report also estimated the wind to be from the east at 35 knots, with gusts to 55 knots. NTSB report. ANC98LA157.
• N700NL Newhalen Lodge Inc., Anchorage, AK. Regd 18-Jun 2014.
• Current •