51-16539 • N1106M
• 51-16539 USAF #1142. L-20A No: 143. Command AF-1. Delivered 01-Aug-1952. Built as L-20A and re-designated U-6A in 1962.
• 51-16539 Stored at MASDC, Davis Monthan AFB., AZ., from an unknown date until 17-Sep-1968. Inventory code unknown.
• 51-16539 Army National Guard, State Unknown.
• 51-16539 Stored at MASDC, Davis Monthan AFB., AZ. 1972 to Oct-1973. Inventory code unknown.
• N1106M Mountain Aviation Inc., Sitka, AK. Canx in 1973 and reported as scrapped.
Airworthiness cert.: 04-Feb-1982.
• N539DH Arnold R Johnson, Sitka,, AK. Regd 27-Jan-1992. On USCAR at 29-Feb-1992 & 01-Oct-1994.
• N539DH Mountain Aviation Inc., Sitka, AK. Circa 2000.
• N539DH R. Johnson Helicopters & Mountain Aviation, Sitka, AK. On USCAR at 02-Mar-1990.
• N539DH Mark S. Phillips, Anchorage, AK. Regd 30-Aug-2001.
• N539DH Larsen Bay Adventures LLC., Kodiak, AK. Regd 25-Sep-2006.
• N539DH Victor Michael Carlson, Kodiak, AK. Regd 29-Jun-2011. Expiry date 30-Jun-2014.
51-16539 was made available on 18-Jul-1952 and accepted on 28-Jul-1952 by the 6600th Air Depot AMO (Air Material Overseas Unit), at Downsview, Ontario after which it was delivered to the Tactical Air Command at Donaldson AFB, Greenville, SC where it was assigned to the to the 4th Liaison Squadron on 01/02-Aug-1952.
It remained with the TAC and was allocated to Stewart AFB, NY, and the 314th Medium Troop Carrier Wing (TCM) from 05-Aug-1952. It then served with the 5th Liaison Squadron at the same location between 08-Sep-1952 and 02-Mar-1953 before returning to the 314th TCM Wing until returning to Donaldson AFB, Greenville, SC but now with the 7th Liaison Squadron. This allocation only lasted until 26-Jun-1953 as it was now assigned to the Military Transport Command (the forerunner of MATS) at Andrews AFB where it was attached to the 1401st Air Base Wing until 22-Oct-1953 after which was re assigned to the TAC for 5 months back with the 7th Liaison Squadron until 30-Mar-1954.
Emblem of 314th Troup Carrier, Medium Group
The next event was an assignment to the Air Defence Command which lasted for over five years. First location was at Minneapolis – St Pauls, MN., with the 514th Air Defence Group between 30-Mar-1954 and 05-Apr-1954. Several weeks with the 515th Air Defence Group at Duluth, MN., followed until 24-Jun-1954 and then by a return to Minneapolis – St Paul 14-Jul-1954 with the 514th and then once again to Duluth with the 515th until 01-Jul-1955.
There followed a return to its birthplace at Downsview, Toronto, ON., for a period of maintenance that lasted until 22-Dec-1955 and then back to active duty back at Duluth now with the 343rd Fighter Group, part of the Central Air Defence Command and then with the 343rd Consolidated Aircraft Maintenance Squadron where it remaining until 20-Oct-1959. The next allocation was to the 30th Air Division and a deployment to Sioux Lookout, Ontario, Canada where it was active with the 915th Air Command and Warning Squadron in. There was a return to Duluth and the 343rd Consolidated Aircraft Maintenance Squadron which took its record on to 17-Jul-1961.
The next assignment was with the Systems Command at Wright Patterson AFB., OH., between 17-Jul & 01-Sep-1961 until 01-Sep-1961. The acronym on the record card shows as AOD DV and currently the meaning is not understood. Staying with Systems Command in next moved to their facility at Ontario AFB., near Los Angeles, CA., presumably for a period of maintenance, which lasted until 30-Sep-1961.
It returned to active service with the Strategic Air Command at Malmstrom AFB, MT joining the 341st Combat Support Group until 02-Oct-1961 after which it was attached to the 341stStrategic Missile Wing remaining until 12-Nov-1962. It then transferred to Fairchild AFB., near Spokane, WA., and the 92nd Strategic Aerospace Wing but apparently for only four days. From here it was assigned to the Logistics Command and the Fairchild Facility at Hagerstown, MD., from the 16-Nov-1962. The aircraft USAF history will be further researched.