• 53-2791 US Army #1334. L-20 No: 335. Command A-4. Delivered 16-Dec-1953. Built as L-20A and re-designated U-6A in 1962.
• N87672 (5) Details unknown. Reported as such Sep-1968.
• 53-2791 Date terminated Feb-1974.
Note: Reported as struck off subsequent to first civil registration. Possible Army flying club or civil defence user.
• N87672 Kenmore Air Harbor Inc., Seattle, WA. Regn date unknown. Canx 19-Dec-1975
Entries preceded by date are extracts from Department of Transport records held at Archive Canada.
15-Nov-1975 Bill of Sale; Kenmore Air Harbor Inc., Seattle, WA., to Joe Hess, Delta, BC.
19-Dec-1975 N87672 cancelled from USCAR.
03-Feb-1976 US Export Certificate of Airworthiness #E-138941 issued for DHC-2 #579 purchased by Joe Hess, Delta, BC.
03-Feb-1976 Certificate of Airworthiness issued (on Edo 679-4930s).
04-Feb-1976 Temporary Certificate of Registration and Flight Permit for delivery flight Seattle – Vancouver.
• C-GIJO Imported into Canada. Regd 27-Dec-1975.
• C-GIJO Joe Hess, Delta, BC (Cameo Developments Ltd). Regd 04-Feb-1976.
24-Feb-1976 Lease Agreement; Cameo Developments Ltd., Delta, BC., to Powell Air, Powell River, BC, 24-Feb-1976 – 31 Dec-1976.
• C-GIJO Leased to Powell Air Ltd., Powell River, BC. Regd 24-Feb-1976.
25-Mar-1976 Bill of Sale; W.J. Hess to Cameo Developments Ltd., Delta, BC.
05-Apr-1976 Temporary Certificate of Registration and Flight Permit for Certificate of Airworthiness test flights within 25 miles of Vancouver.
12-Apr-1976 Application for Certificate of Registration by Cameo Developments Ltd., Delta, BC.
12-Apr-1976 Application for Certificate of Registration by Powell Air Ltd., Powell River, BC.
05-May-1976 Certificate of Registration issued to Cameo Developments Ltd., Delta, BC.
• C-GIJO Cameo Developments Ltd., Delta, BC. Regd 05-May-1976.
06-May-1976 Certificate of Registration issued to Powell Air Ltd., Powell River, BC (under lease from Cameo developments Ltd).
27-May-1976 Temporary Certificate of Registration issued to Powell Air Ltd.
• C-GIJO Lease continued to Powell Air Ltd., Powell River, BC. May-1976.
01-Jan-1977 Lease Agreement; Cameo Developments Ltd., to Powell Air Ltd., 01-Jan-1977 – 31-Dec-1977.
31-Dec-1977 Lease Agreement; Cameo developments Ltd., to Powell Air Ltd., 31-Dec-1977 – 31-Dec-1981.
• C-GIJO Lease continued to Powell Air Ltd., Powell River, BC. 01-Jan-1977 & 31-Dec-1977
16-Apr-1982 Bill of Sale; Joe Hess to Ken Hess to Kenmore Aviation Inc., Seattle, WA.
21-Apr-1982 Cancelled CCAR.
• C-GIJO B. C. Packers Ltd., Richmond, BC. Circa 1982. (No record on CCAR).
• N87672 Kenmore Air Harbor Inc., Kenmore, Washington. Canx Jan-1982. (See note below).
Note: Kenmore Conversion during 1982.
Note: Reported as registered to Kenmore Air Harbour and canx in Jan-1982 but this does not link in with the Department of Transport record of flying hours which records 7,736 in Feb-1982. I believe the report either refers to a “cleaning up” exercise by USCAR as Canadian Department of Transport records show it cancelled in Dec-1975 or just a reference to the aircraft receiving conversion work at Kenmore in 1982. There is a further mystery as the aircraft does not show on the CCAR after the electronic record commenced in 1982. The registration C-GIJO was taken up by a glider in 1988 (Ignominy). So, there is an apparent gap in this aircraft’s history between 1982 and the first record we have of it with Rustair in Mar-1990. There is also an unusually long gap between it being added to the USCAR and the Airworthiness Date, some three years.
• N2740X Rusts Flying Services (Rustair Inc.), Anchorage, AK. Regd 26-Mar-1990.
Airworthiness Date: 04-May-1993.
Incident: Tlikakila River, Lake Clark National Park, AK 19-Sep-1993. Engine failed internally in flight causing a forced landing on the river.
Service Defect Report: 04-Apr-1995. Removal of horizontal stabilizer attachment bracket found bulkhead pitted with corrosion as well as stabilizer rear spar doublers. Steel to aluminium fittings on aircraft operated in salt water should be regularly checked for corrosion.