• 52-6138 USAF # 1300. L-20 No: 301 Command AF-3. Delivered 24-Jul-1953. Built as L-20A and re-designated U-6A in 1962.
• N9822F 7th Air Div. SAC. USAF Flying Club. Operated from Booker, High Wycombe, UK. Apr-1961.
• 52-6138 Struck off charge 05-Aug-1966 from the USAF inventory.
• 52-6138 Alabama Army National Guard.
• 52-6138 Stored at MASDC, Davis Monthan AFB., AZ. 20-Feb-1972 to 11-Feb-1976. PCN (Product Control Number) HS113.
Note: Purchased by M K Christopherson at the Davis Monthan auction sale on 29-Jan-1976 for US$22,000. Total time 5,146.6 hours. Engine hours unknown. Sold as “providing no reasonable potential for normal certification”. Comment at sale included: no data plate, only two seats.
• N6138C Merrill K. Christopherson, Salt Lake City, UT. (Also shown as Nashville, AR) Regd 11-Feb-1976. Canx 09-Jul-1979.
Airworthiness Date: 23-Aug-1977.
Note: Entries preceded by a date are extracts from Department of Transport records held at Archive Canada.
08-Jun-1979 Allotment of requested marks C-GWPL to North Cariboo Flying Service Ltd., for DHC-2 #530.
22-Aug-1979 Application for Certificate of Registration by North Cariboo Flying Service Ltd., Fort St John, BC.
24-Aug-1979 Certificate of Airworthiness issued.
24-Aug-1979 Certificate of Registration issued to North Cariboo Flying Service Ltd, Fort St John, BC.
• C-GWPL North Cariboo Flying Service Ltd., Fort St John BC. Regd 24-Aug-1979.
12-Nov-1980 Flight Permit to ferry from Fort St John to Vancouver (no reason noted).
26-Jul-1983 Bill of Sale; North Cariboo Flying Service Ltd., to Shareway Holdings Ltd., Fort St John BC
27-Sep-1983 Application for Certificate of Registration by Shareway Holdings Ltd.
13-Oct-1983 Certificate of Registration issued to Shareway Holdings Ltd, Fort St John, BC.
• C-GWPL Shareway Holdings, Fort St. John, BC. Regd 13-Oct-1983. Shown as canx 21-Oct-1983 on CCAR.
Undated Lease Agreement; Shareway Holdings Ltd., to Latham Island Airways Ltd.
14-Apr-1984 Application for Certificate of Registration by Latham Island Airways Ltd., Yellowknife, NT.
27-Jul-1984 Certificate of Registration issued to Latham Island Airways Ltd., Yellowknife, NT. (under lease).
• C-GWPL Leased to Latham Island Airways Ltd., Yellowknife, NT. 27-Jul-1984.
05-Oct-1984 Bill of Sale; Shareway Holdings Ltd., to Latham Island Airways Ltd.
• C-GWPL Sold to Latham Island Airways Ltd., Yellowknife, NT. 05-Oct-1984
05-Oct-1984 Bill of Sale; Latham Island Airways to St Cloud Aviation Inc., St Cloud, MN
• C-GWPL Cancelled on CCAR. 14-Nov-1984 on export to USA.
52-6138 was made available on 30-Jun-1953, accepted on 16-Jul-1953 by the 6600th Air Depot AMO (Air Material Overseas Unit), at Downsview, ON., after which it was delivered to the Air Material Command at Davis Monthan AFB., AZ., where it was placed with the 3040th Air Storage Squadron on 24-Jul-1953. It remained in store until it moved to the San Antonio Air Depot at McLellan AFB., TX., on 09 Jun-1954 and then it was recorded as moving to the San Francisco Point of Embarkation on 23-Sep-1954. This is rather strange as its destination for the Air Force Europe Command and previous shipments had been from Newark, NJ., to Erding in Germany. Nevertheless it arrived with the 7485th Air Depot Wing at Erding, Germany, on 28-Sep-1954. It remained, again in store, until it flew to England where it arrived at Bentwaters in Essex, UK., 27-Jan-1955 and attached to the 31st Fighter Bomber Wing.
On 01-Mar-1957 it moved to Woodbridge where it joined the 81st Fighter Bomber Wing which itself returned to Bentwaters on 08-Jul-1958. The unit was re designated as the 81st Tactical Fighter Wing on 08-Jul-1958 and then returned to Woodbridge on 21-Aug-1958. This was for a relatively short time as the unit returned to Bentwaters on 27-Oct-1958. It is recorded as staying until 12-Dec-1962. However there are reports confirmed by photographs that it was put on the US civil register as N9822F and was used by the USAF Flying Club. It operated from Booker, High Wycombe, UK., during 1961.
The next part of its career is unclear as its record card mentions the aircraft was with the 20th Tactical Fighter Wing at Wethersfield for just two days from 10-Dec-1962. There is now an unresolved gap until it is shown as being with the 310st Strategic Aerospace Wing at Schilling AFB., KS., from 14-Jun-1963 and then the 38th Missile Wing at McConnell AFB., until 05-Aug-1966 when it was struck off charge from the USAF inventory.