c/n 1354
N10395 visits Pelican Lake at Sioux Lookout, Ontario.
Photo: Rich Hulina © 15 June 2012
N10395 at Oshkosh with white rudder.
Photo: George Trussell © 31 July 2008
N10395 showing off Alaska Door.
Photo: Unknown photographer © July 2004 - Aird Archives
N10395 of Alaska Air Taxi at Lake Hood.
Photo: John P. Stewart © 02 July 2001
Photo: Keith Bollands © 2000
N10395 operating with Taku Glacier Lodge at Juneau, Alaska.
Photo: Ruben Husberg © 23 May 1992
N10395 with Alaska Air Taxi at Anchorage.
Photo: Neil Aird © September 1995
N10395 Picture perfect.
Photo: Unknown photographer © October 1994 - Aird Archives
N10395 with hardware store markings, at Anchorage.
Photo: John Kimberley © June 1979 - Aird Archives
C-FMAY  at Vancouver in various schemes.
Photo: John Kimberley © June 1983
Photo: John Kimberley © December 1984
c/n 1354


• Delivered 02-Mar-1959
CF-MAY Province of Manitoba
N10395 Regd May-1979
C-FMAY circa 1983/1984
N10395 George T. Michael, Juneau, AK
• Regd Jun-1991
• Taku Glacier Air Inc., Seadrome /  Juneau, AK
• B & B Recreational Properties, Anchorage, AK
• Noted by author Sep-1995 @ Lake Hood / Anchorage AK., in Alaska Air Taxi colours
• Repainted by May 2000

• Crashed 21-Aug-2001 ANC01LA121

• Northern Aircraft Leasing Inc, Oshkosh, WI • Regd 22-Jul-2003

• Flyways North LLC., Burnsville, MN • Regd 02-Sep-1009



On August 21, 2001, about 1430 Alaska daylight time, a float-equipped de Havilland DHC-2 airplane, N10395, sustained substantial damage during takeoff from Six Mile Lake, Nondalton, Alaska. The airplane was being operated as a visual flight rules (VFR) on-demand passenger flight under Title 14, CFR Part 135, when the accident occurred. The airplane was owned by Ernest M. Brooks, and operated by Alaska Air Taxi, Inc., Anchorage, Alaska. The certificated commercial pilot, and the four passengers, were not injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and company visual flight rules (VFR) flight following procedures were in effect for the flight to Port Alsworth, Alaska.

During a telephone conversation with the National Transportation Safety Board investigator-in-charge on August 21, the pilot reported that just after takeoff, about 100 feet above the water, a very strong gust of wind rolled the wings of the airplane about 90 degrees to the left. He said that he applied full right aileron in an attempt to regain control, but the airplane descended, and the left wing struck the surface of the water. As the airplane's left wing struck the surface of the water, the wing separated from the fuselage, pivoted the airplane 90 degrees to the left, and the right wing stuck the water. Both floats were torn from the fuselage, and the airplane eventually sank in shallow water. The airplane sustained substantial damage to the fuselage, wings, and empennage.

The pilot reported that wind conditions at the time of the accident were out of the northwest at 20 knots, with gusts to 30 knots.