• 51-16524 USAF #1122. L-20A No: 123. Command AF-1. Delivered 10-Jul-1952 Built as L-20A and re-designated U-6A in 1962.
• 51-16524 Missouri Air National Guard. Photo circa. Apr-1962
• N9755F USAF Flying Club, Mildenhall, Suffolk, UK. Feb-1962. Returned to USAF Feb-1963.
• 51-16524 Stored at MASDC, Davis Monthan AFB., Arizona. 21-Jun-1972 to 17-Feb-1976. Inventory code HS171.
• N9755F Canx 31-Mar-1971. Sale reported 14-Jan-1977.
Note. Reference to c/n 310 as N9755F before 1972. This registration was assigned to c/n 1122 (its military acquisition no.) and still shows as Sale Reported since 03-Mar-1971!
• N1441Z Ocean Associates Inc., Hillsborough, NC. Regd Nov-1978.
• N1441Z Jack Short, Hamilton, OH. Canx Jun-1987 (See also N1440Z).
• C-GKBW Imported into Canada, Jun-1987.
• C-GKBW Shebandowan Air Ltd., Thunder Bay, ON. Regd 25-May-1987. Canx 28-Aug-1996.
• C-GKBW Ignace Airways (1996) Ltd., Ignace, ON Regd 28-Aug-1996. Canx 07-Jul-1999.
• C-GKBW Sapawe Air Ltd., Atikokan, ON. (Kashabowie Outposts Ltd). Based at Eva Lake, ON. Regd 07-Jul-1999 and 16-Apr-2010.
Accident: Mosher Lake, ON 30-Jun-2001. The de Havilland DHC 2 aircraft, registration C-GKBW had just landed at Mosher Lake, ON and was taxiing to the dock. A passenger was asked to get out and catch the aircraft on the dock and was briefed on the procedure. The passenger jumped onto the dock and attempted to catch the front of the float. While doing so the passenger was struck by the propeller tip as the engine was winding down, and suffered a minor cut to his left arm. Five (5) S.O.B. -- one (1) crew; four (4) passengers.
Note. Operates on floats with Wipaire Ventral fin. Has cabin extension with double rectangular windows.
51-16524 was made available on 24-Jun-1952 and accepted on 02-Jul-1952 by the 6600th Air Depot AMO (Air Material Overseas Unit), at Downsview, Ontario after which it was delivered to the Tactical Air Command and the 64th Troop Carrier (Medium) Wing at Donaldson AFB, Greenville, SC on 09-Jul-1952 and quickly transferred to the 4th Liaison Squadron at the same location. It suffered category 2 damage (minor/medium) following a takeoff accident at Donaldson AFB on. 17-Nov-1952. Pilot Richard D Downs.
The aircraft was destined for the Air Force Europe Command and therefore passed to Newark NJ and the 2847th Transportation Control Depot (TPC) Wing on the 12-Dec-1952. It embarked by ship to Neubiberg, Germany arriving nominally with the 86th Fighter Bomber Wing on 23rd Jan-1953. As others before it soon passed to the 85th Air Depot Wing at Erding, Germany on 18-Feb and then to the 4th Liaison Squadron at Furstenfeldbruck on 18-Mar-1953. The next location for the aircraft was at Landstuhl, Germany next to Ramstein AFB, where it was attached to the 7030rd Headquarters Support Group from 01-Feb-1954 remaining until 16-Apr-1954.
A new country beckoned and the aircraft next appeared at the 7373rd Maintenance Group at Chateauroux Déols in France. There is a gap in the record but it seems this was a preliminary event to the aircraft moving across the Mediterranean to Libya and an attachment to the 1603rd TSP Wing (Transport) at Wheelus AFB which is recorded as being from 17-May-1955 but only until 01-Aug-1955 when it became the 7272nd Air Base Wing and then on 19-Jan-1956 to the 7235th Support Squadron.
The next move was to Northern Italy for some TLC at the Aermacchi plant at Vergiate where it remained between 17-Jul-1956 and 17-Feb-1957 after which it travelled to another country, this time Turkey, for service with the 7217th Support Squadron at Ankara, under the TUSLOG umbrella (TUSLOG – The US Logistics Group) which later on 01-Jun-1958 was de activated and then re designated 7250th Support Squadron. Staying in Turkey the aircraft moved to Izmir and was attached to the 7266th Squadron on 30-Dec-1959.
Another chapter in the life of this aircraft saw it moving to the UK to be based at Mildenhall, Suffolk and attached to the 7313rd Air Base Group. This was between 11-Jul-19601 and 11-Jun-1963. The aircraft now returned to the mainland US to the Fairchild Facility at Hagerstown, Maryland part of the Logistics Command remaining just a few days before returning to active service with the Strategic Air Command at McConnell AFB, Kansas and 381st Strategic Missile Wing on 16-Jun-1963.
The further USAF history of this aircraft is yet to be researched.