c/n 285

N2749 at Talkeetna.
Photo: Todd Boettcher © 20 July 2017
N2749 at Anchorage.
Photo: Robbie Shaw © 11 May 2012 - Aird Archives
N2749 on the Fairbanks float pond.
Photo: Fred Wallis © 14 August 2007
N2749 gets a dusting of fresh snow.
Photo: Fred Wallis © 03 November 2004
USGS 1017 visits Toronto - CYYZ.
Photo: Unknown photographer © 25 November 1969 - Michael J. Ody Collection

c/n 285

51-16507 • USGS1017

N2749

x

51-16507 USAF #1099. L-20A No: 100. Command AF-1. Left paint shop on 22-May-1952. Delivered 18-Jun-1952 Built as L-20A and re-designated U-6A in 1962.

51-16507 Army Material Command.

USGS1017 US Geological Survey.

N2749 US Department of Interior, Geological Survey, Regional Geophysics Branch, Denver, CO. Regd Dec-1970.

Note US Dept. of Interior had leased aircraft from AMC for several years before registering as N2749. Tail of c/n 285 marked 1016.

Accident: When with US Dept of Interior. Details Unknown.

N2749 Cinema Air Jet Centre Inc., Carlsbad, CA. Regd Mar-1993.

N2749 Stephen T. Lewis, Fairbanks, AK.  Regd 07-Sep-1993. Re regd Regd 18-May-2000

Airworthiness Cert. 18-Jul-2000.

N2749 Registration pending Talkeetna, AK. 11-Jul-2016.

N2749 Sheldon Air Service LLC., Talkeetna, AK. Regd 08-Sep-2016.

Note: On FAA register as 51-16507.

Current

USAF History

51-16507 was made available on 06 Jun -1952 and accepted on the same day by the 6600th Air Depot AMO (Air Material Overseas Unit), at Downsview, Ontario after which it was assigned to the Tactical Air Command. It was delivered to Biggs AFB, El Paso, TX on the 18th Jun and joined the 1st Liaison Squadron remaining until 22-Jul when it was re allocated to 3rd Liaison Squadron at George AFB, Victorville, CA. It was then re-assigned to the Air Material Command and went to the Sacramento Air Material Area, at McLellan AFB, California on 08-Jan-1953 and on to Burbank, San Francisco, California on 22-Jan-1953 prior to embarkation to Japan and being assigned to the Far East Air Force.

Arriving in Japan on 29-Jan-1953 it was initially at the 6408th Maintenance and Supply unit at Kisarazu before joining the 3rd Liaison Squadron at Komaki on 12-Mar-1953. A section of this unit moved to Misawa on 04-Apr-1953 and the aircraft stayed for over a year until 19-Oct 1954 before passing to the 6400th Air Depot at Showa for maintenance.

It returned to service with the 3rd Liaison Squadron, initially at Misawa, on 15-Dec-1954 and almost immediately with a deployment to Chitose AFB and Hokkaido from 19-Dec-1954. At Chitose it transferred to the 4th Fighter Wing from 15-Mar-1955 which was inactivated in late 1956 and the aircraft moved across to the 6029th Support Wing. The Air base itself was de activated in Dec-1957 so the aircraft moved to Misawa to join the 6139th Air Base Group until 13-Sep-1959.

After this it joined the 6314th Air Base Wing at Osan and like some of its fellows enjoyed various deployments to Chinhae, Taegu, Kunsan and Kimpo before passing to the Logistics Command facility at Taegu operated by the Fairchild Aircraft Company. It returned to service on 26-Jun-1964 with the 6314th at Osan.

The aircraft was struck off charge from the USAF on 02-Jun-1966.

x