Beaver Tails master index

 previous  next click on arrows to navigate page by page.

c/n 389
N91285 at Vancouver with Pacific Aircraft Salvage.
Photo: John Kimberley © 1988 - Aird Archives
N91285 "Emma Dean II".
Photo:Unknown photographer © c.January 1972 - Aird Archives
N91285 on a typical scorching Arizona ramp.

(Note: Mission Airlines de Havilland DH.104 Dove in background!)

Photo: Unknown photographer - MAP © 1969 - Wayne Mutza Collection/Aird Archives
51-16569 image from an early military manual.
Photo: USAF Official © via Dennnis Newell

c/n 389

51-16589

N91285

x

51-16569 USAF #1193. L-20 No: 194. Command AF-1. Delivered 20-Oct-1952. Built as L-20A and re-designated U-6A in 1962.

51-16569 Stored at MASDC Davis Monthan AFB, AZ. Dates unknown.

N91285 United States Geological Survey, Circa 1968.

Note: This is unlike other USGS registrations which are four digit numerical styles

N91285 United States Department of the Interior, Geological Survey, Prescott, Arizona “Emma Dean” Regd 22-Nov-1971. Canx 07-May-1975.

N91285 US Army, Tucson, AZ.

Note: At Pima Museum in 1985. Not shown on Pima Air & Space Museum list of airframes.

Note: Reported at Vancouver, BC., by 1988 – parted out?

Status Unknown

USAF History

51-16569 was made available on 03-Oct-1952 and accepted on 14-Oct-1952 by the 6600th Air Depot AMO (Air Material Overseas Unit), at Downsview, ON., after which it was delivered to the Tactical Air Command at Donaldson AFB., NY., and joined the 7th Liaison Squadron on 21-Oct-1952 staying until 22-Jun-1953. It stayed with the 7th Liaison Squadron during a short deployment at Lawson AFB which lasted up to 18-Jul-1953. Then it returned to Donaldson until 15-Aug-1953 and on to Altus AFB., OK., where it was attached to the 63rd Troop Carrier Wing until 15-Oct-1953 after which it moved with the 63rd back to Donaldson. It alternated with the 7th Liaison Squadron a couple of times up until 25-Apr-1954 deploying to Pope AFB with the 7th Liaison Squadron between 24-Apr-1954 and 01-May-1954 and then returned to Donaldson until 22-May-1954. Its next location was at Charleston AFB., SC., where it was attached to the 456th Medium Troop Carrier Wing remaining until 08-Apr-1955.

Emblem of 456th Troop Carrier Wing

A change of assignment now saw it move to the Training Command, to Laughlin AFB., TX., and the 3645th Combat Crew Training (CCT) Wing. It only stayed for ten days as it passed to Kelly AFB., San Antonio, TX., and the Air Material Command for a few days until 29-Apr-1955. It now returned to the 3645th at Laughlin until 15-Jun-1955 before travelling back to de Havilland at Downsview, ON., and the Air Material Command on 15-Jun-1955 for maintenance. It stayed for six months until 14-Dec-1955.

It returned to active service with the Training Command but at Nellis AFB., NV., with the 3595th CCT Wing. On 18-Mar-1957 it moved to Williams AFB., AZ., and was attached to the moved to CCT Wing between until 31-Aug-1957and then moved back to Nellis and the 3595th. Staying at Nellis it moved over to the 4520th CCT Wing until 28-Oct-1962. It subsequently was assigned to the Logistics Command and the Fairchild Aircraft Company facility at Hagerstown, MD. It received another assignment on 05-Feb-1963, this time to the Strategic Air Command with the 92nd Strategic Aerospace Wing at Fairchild AFB.

Emblem of the 92nd Strategic Aerospace Wing

Its further USAF history is to be researched.