Beaver Tails master index

 previous  next click on arrows to navigate page by page.

c/n 367
150191 / 34 at NAS Paxutent River, home of the USNTPS.
Photo: Unknown photographer © October 2006 - Aird Archives
Photo: Mark Windridge © 24 May 2001
150191 with an additional tail badge.
Photo: Unknown photographer © July 1987 - Aird Archives
150191 with side number 31
Photo: Scott van Aken © October 1984 -  Aird Archives
150191 now with tail crest.
Photo: R. B. Starinchak © 03 October 1983 - Aird Archives
150191 in early markings with test equipment..
Photos: Stephen Miller © 20 August 1983
Photo: Unknown photographer © October 1979 - Aird Archives
Photo: D. A. Brown © 24 September 1976 - Aird Archives
150191 at Patuxent River NAS.
Photo: Unknown photographer © 03 August 1974 - Dirk Lamarque Collection
Photo: David Ostrowski © 25 August 1973 - Stephen Miller Collection
Photo: Stephen Miller © 20 March 1973
150191 serving with ASEG at Pax River.
Photo: Roger Besecker © 15 July 1967 - Stephen Miller Collection
51-16561 in service at Keflavik, Iceland.
Photo: Icelandic Aviation Historical Society Collection © via Baldur Sveinsson

c/n 367

51-16561

BuNo150191

x

51-16561 USAF #1174. L-20 No: 175. Command AF-1. Delivered 23-Sep-1952 Built as L-20A and re-designated U-6A in 1962.

150191 US Navy, Keflavik, Iceland. With effect from 30-Jun-1961.

Note: Transferred to the Navy and re serialised when control of MATS at Keflavik was passed to the Navy in July 1961

150191 NAS, Norfolk, VA.

150191 Served with All Service Evaluation Group. (ASEG)

150191 FASRON-107, Patuxent Bay, MD.

150191 (Coded 34) US Navy Test Pilot School, Patuxent River, MD. From 1968.

Side code "31" was carried earlier in career.

Note: With the USTPS it is used to tow the Schools X-26A Gliders.

Note: This aircraft together with c/n 492 underwent deep maintenance at Summit Aviation, Middletown, DE. As well as a three bladed Hartzell propeller replacement of the existing two blade model, four point restraint crew positions seats were installed and existing belly fuel tank replaced with wing tip tanks. New avionics suite with components of the Garmin 400 & 500 series Navigation /Communication system that integrates VOR and GPS added.

Active

USAF History

51-16561 was made available on 11-Sep-1952 and accepted on 19-Sep-1952 by the 6600th Air Depot AMO (Air Material Overseas Unit), at Downsview, Ontario after which it was delivered to the Tactical Air Command at Alexandria AFB., LA., and the 6th Liaison Squadron on 30 Sep-1952. It remained with the 6th with a deployment of this unit to Griffiss AFB., NY., until 17-Mar-1953 then returned to Alexandria. On 06-Jan-1954 it was reportedly attached to the 366th Fighter Bomber Wing for the whole of one day.

There followed a short re-assignment to the Strategic Air Command. The location was Gray AFB, Killeen, TX., and the unit, the 4001st Air Base Squadron where it stayed until 25-Feb-1954. After this it returned to the TAC, at Alexandria and the 366th Fighter Bomber Wing, remaining until 14-Jun-1955, when it passed for maintenance at de Havilland Downsview, ON. This was between 14-Jun-1955 and 07-Jan-1956.

It returned to active service with the TAC and the 366th FB Wing but Alexandria AFB., was now re named England AFB. On 25-Sep-1957 it moved across to the 834th Air Base Group and remained until 14-Oct-1957. It was next assigned to the Air Material Command at Brookley AFB., Mobile, AL., and the Mobile Air Depot. Remaining until 25-Oct-1957.

Another re assignment saw it sent to Keflavik, the Military Air Transport Command and the Air Force Iceland. It was initially attached to the 1400th Field Maintenance Squadron until 01-May-1959 after which it was re named as the 1400th Maintenance & Support Group. Again a re-naming saw it become the 1400th Consolidated Maintenance Squadron from 01-Jul 1960. When the MATS passed its authority in Iceland to the US Navy our Beaver stayed and became a sailor.